Friday, July 15, 2016

Events Management and Volunteerism

A few days ago I shared an article by the man who was behind alibaba.com success. I admit I had to google his name. Jack Ma. Awesome. I love his success story and it is an inspiration, as are all successful entrepreneurs bar a few like Donald Trump.

Back to volunteerism.

So I read (I think) this post in facebook a few days ago  by the Coffee Shop Trader:

I'd like to briefly summarise his points:
1) In his free time he did freelance work. Basically to gain new skills. 
2) Read. It's a habit. Do it regularly. Reading will allow you to gain knowledge which you can use to your advantage.
3) Do some projects to apply knowledge that you have. Create opportunities. Volunteer. You will learn how to perform.
Now, there are a few more very good advise from that article and I suggest everyone interested in bettering their lives, making a difference, creating multiple sources of income, etc. to read and apply. 
This blog post is about volunteering.
This year 2016 alone, Alhamdulillah, has turned out to be one of the best years of my life. And I can honestly say it's because I gave up a full time, well paying job last year in order to spend more time with my children, move to another state to be with my husband, as we have been living in two different states the past 5 year or so. Primarily due to work, but also some other personal reasons which I will and have explained in other blog posts and also facebook status.
It was not an easy decision to make in the beginning, and from an outsider point of view, might not have made much sense. Looking back with the advantage of hindsight, there were many benefits that I would only have come to know, and otherwise would not have, had I not taken that decision to move back to Kota Bharu. 
And no, I am not Kelantanese, and neither is my husband.

My first voluntary work.
In 2002/3, right after graduating from medical school and around the time when I began working as an intern, I had some free time because my husband was working in the same hospital and we had not yet started our family. It was that time I first thought of volunteering time and expertise.

I came across Special Olympics looking for volunteers and I signed up. Then, I got pregnant and work became exhausting. When the Special Olympic team contacted me, I very sadly put down their offer due to health reasons. I could barely keep up with my own work, let alone due additional voluntary effort.

Funnily enough, they sent me a certificate of appreciation anyway. Even though I did not get to participate in any of their events. Thank you Special Olympics Ireland. Similarly, in Islam, as long as we have an intention to do good, Allah already records that intention and will recompense it in the day of judgement , insya Allah.

Since returning to Malaysia in 2006/7, there have been many opportunities to give back and contribute to society, either through the organisations I have been employed with as a CSR or corporate social responsibility effort mainly, or other community outreach programs. My childrens school also give opportunities to help and volunteer in many ways other than just monetary donations.

In 2013, close association with one NGO in PJ, brought me in contact with another NGO based in Ampang, which assisted Syrian refugees and at that time I helped them raise nearly RM10,000 in public donations during the fasting month. Mainly using facebook and whatsapp as a way or means of promotion, again, who would have known it was possible. I certainly did not expect it.

During this Ramadhan 2016, I had several ongoing "projects", which basically arose by chance, like a teacher asking for help, from my long held intention of participating in Thirdforce activities since seeing their work in the floods of 2014 but was unable to help as I had just delivered my youngest that time, and another orphanage which I had long wanted to visit but just did not have the time to do so in the past, even though the orphanage was located in Bukit Beruntung and had expanded to another orphanage in Segambut.

It's like Steven Jobs tip called 'joining the dots'. We don't really know what all the events in our lives will ultimately lead to. It is up to us to connect the dots and create the picture. 

I just made a rough calculation, and true enough, together with the help of a large number of anonymous donors, we raised RM25,000 for mainly poor people in Kelantan, in Tumpat, Kubang Kerian, Tanah Merah, a significant sum was donated also to equip a masjid in a school in Kota Bharu, which 10% or so students are from poor families, and I will need to write a separate blog post on how "Syawal packs" are made. That was the first time in my life I had shopped for groceries provisions of some 100 families in one go. We needed 6 trolleys, my husband and son helped with most of the carrying, the Mydin Kubang Kerian staff were very helpful too. Cheers to them.

I would not have been able to do any of this if I was stuck in a full time job as I have small children, so when I already work 9-5 from Monday to Friday, Saturday and Sunday is just for the family. No time for other things, other people, other causes. But of course, when you lack time, it doesn't mean you don't help. You can still contribute in other ways. You can donate, help spread the news, refer people who can help, give moral support to the volunteers, there's so many ways we can all make a difference, insya Allah.

Yesterday, I helped a new NGO secure a venue for our official launching and press conference. How exciting! 

By now, I feel have establish skills in raising funds for charity purposes, I understand better how to prioritize funds and assistance to help the poor (by working closely with Thirdforce volunteers), and yesterday, today and the next week I will learn more about events management and organizing a press conference, something that I had never done before, and my line of work as a doctor and lecturer, would not have allowed me to experience.

My message to the world: do more. Volunteer. Give away your money, experience, expertise, contacts, good name, skills, for free in the causes you believe in.

You will get back more, in multiple amounts and ways you can never imagine. In this world and the next. Insya Allah. Start today. Start now.   






No comments:

Post a Comment