Saturday, October 17, 2015

Becoming a Writer

A lot of people out there are probably thinking about writing a book, dreaming about writing a book, becoming a best seller, getting published, how would I know? I am one of them.

The best advice I could give people at this moment is to write down your dreams and goals. Writing them down reminds us, and not just our conciousness, also, more importantly, at a subconcious level. Our subconcious mind is one of the most powerful tools in this planet, and most of us underutilize it.

Step 1: Decide What You Want

Write down the goals and put it somewhere you can see it several times a day. Keep it alive and feed it. Think of all the people you could help and that would benefit from reading your book and sharing the knowledge and insights you have accumulated all this while.

Step 2: Takes Simple Actions That Will Lead You Closer To Your Goal

The next step is to take action. Put time aside to write regularly. And this is why having a blog is helpful. A blog is free. Well, almost. You put in a little of investment in terms of money. Maybe you need to buy a computer or laptop or perhaps even write using your phone (havent tried that one yet). You need to get connected to the internet (and to countless potential customers). Those are the simple steps. Probably a good idea to start with the free blogs first. Or you can invest in the paid ones for a trendy (and easy to remember website address). The difficult part, at least for me, (imagine, a person who loves writing and would prefer to do nothing but), is to write and write regularly. Why? Why is it so difficult? The simple answer is, most of us are addicted to instant results. We want to do something today, and see a result tomorrow. If there are no results, or results are not what we expected, or are delayed, the vast majority of people are going to give up. I am not saying that if you do not get results, you should just continue and do the same thing, rather start first, and then adjust as you continue and seek advice or knowledge as you go along. The most important and difficult step is the first, once you start, keep the momentum going. Soon enough you will find time and make time for what you deem important enough (yup, we all make time for food, regardless of what our timetable looks like, right?)

Looking back at all the other achievements in my life (not that many, mind you), I saw a pattern, a common pattern of success. First, there is the desire. You want something. Maybe you want it. Maybe you need it. A degree, a post graduate degree, a job, a car, a house, a business venture, a project, an authorship, whatever it is, you decide what it is. Then maybe after sometime you realise you didnt really want it or need it (could this be buyers remorse, maybe, I'm not sure). Or it's not worth it. Then you can either stop pursuing it, or sell it, or change jobs, but then there are things that, even after time has passed, and if it was just a phase, you would have been way it over, but you are not, then that is something that you probably have to do, is your calling, and for some people, that thing is to write a book, and perhaps get published. It doesn't matter whether their book sells or not, becomes a best-seller or a flunk, as long as they get to write a book that matters to them.

 Step 3: Tell Everyone

This is very important for two reasons. Reason number one is, and this has happened to me several times, you will somehow attract people who have already achieved what you set out to do. And these people will be able to help you in some way, to emulate their success. There is no substitute to finding a teacher, coach and mentor these days that will hold you accountable to achieving what you set out to do. A person who has been through it before. Imagine climbing Mount Everest for the first time without a guide. Yeah ok, luckily writing a book and getting published need not be such a hazardous experience.

Step 4: Get A Mentor

Having a blog is a relatively low risk simulation where you get to practice your writing skills, hone them, generate an audience, and look at their response. So many people have given me this same advice over and over and I have ignored it like the rookie I am. I don't regret not heeding their advice though. That was the old me. I had to grow as a person before I could learn something new. Not just learn something, but also apply it in my life.

I also had many other challenges I had to overcome before the writer in me took over. A new baby, a new job, other commitments, but there comes a time when everything becomes clear, I realised it especially when reflecting on the sacrifices I had to make when pursuing my MBA.

So making the commitment and announcing it is so important. It will attract help and support, and other forms of encouragement from friends and family, or it might not, but another benefit is, these same people will remind you of your lack of achievement, or rather unaccomplished goal that you need to fulfill, so there's no escaping it.

Step 5: Set A Deadline

This is probably very scary if you are like me, a perfectionist. I real life, there is room for perfection. Ask anyone who has ever achieved anything worthwhile. Perfectionism is suicide. Being a perfectionist isn't. There's nothing wrong with being a perfectionist. I can't pretend to be something that I am not. I'd rather not take on a project if I can't do it properly, then doing something half-heartedly and I think (or imagine) most people would feel the same.

The truth is though, if you don't set some sort of deadline, it probably wont happen. I know because I'm there. I have gone through this issue before in so many other areas of my life, not just writing. So set a deadline.

And keep working towards that goal.

All the best, happy writing.



No comments:

Post a Comment