Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Is it Safe to Take Medicine When Pregnant?

One way to know whether you are a writer or not, is to try and go on for sometime without writing. Certainly the itch to write, and especially when you had a momentum going and suddenly missed a few days of writing, will draw you back to your blog. And all that time away, you were thinking about what to write and how to write it, what you could do to improve your blog, the pictures that need to be changed and so on. Almost like the CAGE questionnaire that we medics use to screen for alcohol abuse/dependence.

Even though I am not a general practitioner, not a obstetric and gynaecologist, not a paediatrician, people still consult me for free advice in those areas. One of the blessings or curses of being a doctor, depends on the point of view taken. This year alone, two people asked my opinion on whether they should take medication prescribed by their OBGYN while pregnant.

My sister whatsapped me to ask whether she could take maxolon because she really couldn't stand the nausea and vomiting of pregnancy (NAVOP) a.k.a. morning sickness.

I too, have suffered from NAVOP. I have four kids, and have been through it four times. Thankfully for me, My symptoms start around week 9 and go away (or at least lessen significantly) around week 12 to 16. If you are reading this and thinking, yay, I have only x number of days or months left to suffer from morning sickness (which is such a misnomer because I was pretty much nauseated in the morning, in the afternoon, evening and even at night), every women is different, and so is every pregnancy. Some of my friends had no nausea whatsoever while others range from having to drink every 30 seconds to counter the awful taste of their saliva through out nine months of pregnancy, to being admitted for dehydration from severe vomiting due to twin pregnancy.

My most recent episode of suffering from nausea and vomiting of pregnancy was last year, so it is pretty fresh in my mind. Certain smells for example cloth softener made me sick. What helped was eating asam (preserved fruit which is sour in taste), mango sprinkled with asam boi  when I pregnant with my daughter the third time some seven years ago, drinking very diluted fruit juice (it was orange cordial) when pregnant with my two eldest children more than a decade ago. Having an empty stomach made the nausea worse, so did eating very large meals, so it's best to eat small frequent meals which is not always possible, and wasn't when I was practising not too long ago. I remember distinctly, stopping to throw up along the corridors of the hospital while at work. I might have looked like a patient. Friends commented on how pale I looked. Those were the days. I am so glad they are over.

I never took any medication for it. I try to avoid all medications while pregnant. But I understand that this is NOT ALWAYS POSSIBLE, and none of my blog posts should be taken as medical advice. Every person and circumstance is different, so please do check with your doctor, and if you are not happy, get a second and third opinion.

So I told her my advice. And I guess being a doctor, we all have our own prejudices and biases based on experience and knowledge that others don't have. Once upon a time many years ago, a new medication was launched specifically for nausea and vomiting of pregnancy (I don't think I was born yet, it was that long ago and nowadays, many safety mechanisms and nets are put in place to avoid the same such mistake/s), and many women took this medication and was eating happily; no more nausea and vomiting, but nine months later were horrified when baby was born with no arms or legs. For most women like me, nausea and vomiting was worse during the first trimester, and this is also that time that baby is having organs and limbs formed so any medication taken during this time that has 'teratogenic' effects, can cause baby to suffer physical abnormalities. I've also worked in paediatric and neonatal ICU and seen babies with exomphalos, children with polydactyly, so I tell others that if they can bear with the symptoms, do not take medication, only if they are vomiting and dehydrated then they can get IV fluids and be admitted for treatment. Again, this is general advice, please see your doctor.

Last weekend, another friend whatsapped to ask my opinion, her OBGYN prescribed her casprin which is aspirin, I presume for severe neck pain which sounded like it was musculoskeletal in origin. So I recommended she try simple things like ice pack and hot packs for the neck pain, and massage. This does not apply to all neck pains, you must always consult a doctor. But she had tried all that and the pain is still unbearable. Looking at available information on the web, there is no known side effects of consumption during pregnancy, as long as it is not taken regularly. I am sure her OBGYN would know better and would have considered the risk benefit ratio before prescribing her that medication, and would have examined her etc. I was just giving my opinion.

In a nutshell, it is best to avoid unnecessary medication during pregnancy except the folic acid and iron supplements or any medication prescribed by your doctor/OBGYN. Please inform all health professionals that you are pregnant so they can prescribe medication which is safe (or at least safer based on existing information). 

No comments:

Post a Comment