Saturday, October 24, 2015

Me'nate Steak Hub, Wangsa Maju

It's been a while since I had steak. I must admit it is one of my favourite dishes, and it is not the healthiest of meals so we don't eat steak often.

I've seen a few friends post this place on facebook and even read an article about the owner, who is a Kelantanese and at one point was chef for Lady Diana, the late Princess of Wales. My Mum read the same article and was as impressed. So finally, we had a quiet afternoon and what better coincidence than my eldest son's twelve-th birthday.

Twelve years ago I was admitted to the Coombe's womens hospital on a Friday morning to be induced after going over 42 weeks, and today, we went to our visit lunch at Me'nate Steak Hub.

Finding the place wasn't too difficult with Waze. We took the DUKE highway and were very unhappy with paying the extra toll fare. Hubby dropped us at the shop front, which is an open air restaurant but with an air-cond unit at the back. Thankfully, during our time there, there were no smokers. As if the haze isn't polluting enough.

Upon arrival, the waiter gave two menus and left us to our own devices. I looked at the seemingly simple menu but couldn't make out what to order. I don't think the menu is 'user-friendly'. So I called the waiter and told him "I want to order the steak", expecting him to recommend something. 'For steak,' he said in a nonchalant manner, 'you have to look over there,' which was the huge freezer at the side of the very simple restaurant.

Yes, I remember reading about this in a blog. You have to select your own piece of frozen meat (which has a price tag and a description for example T-bone grain fed RM32/=. Which was the first thing I saw and said "I'll take that one". At the other end of the freezer was lamb. Might try that the next visit.

All five of us ordered steak, which came with a scoop of mashed potato and coleslaw plus a generous helping of gravy. Drinks are self-service with a dispensing machine at one corner of the shop. There is a reasonable choice of cold and warm drinks. Drinks refill is free, which is a great idea.

I do not considered myself a great meat eater. My limited experience of steak include Victoria's Station (my late Dad used to take us here many years ago as a celebration every time we came back from overseas for a break), Tony Roma's (ate there once a few years ago with a friend who is obviously a fan), Renaissance Hotel Kota Bharu (had this maybe two to three times), Chilli's (once or twice a very long time ago) and the Dome (ate this once). There is another restaurant in Laman Seri, Shah Alam but I cannot recall the name. My husband is not a fan of eating out, so we don't do as often as we should, and in comparison, during childhood our family used to eat out quite regularly as Mummy was a housewife and needed a break, and I think late Dad enjoyed dining out with the family too as a treat.

Based on my limited experience, I certainly feel I am not the best person to give this opinion, I am entitled to say that it is a reasonably tasty steak, though in all honesty I have tasted better, having said that the price is definitely unbeatable elsewhere for the same dish and package that comes with it. We went in the afternoon and the place was not packed, initially there was another family at about 1pm, we left at 2pm and there were more people then. It's a good place to take the kids too to see whether they have developed a taste for steak. My two younger children still aren't into the idea and ordered pasta instead.

Verdict: 8/10


No comments:

Post a Comment