Saturday, October 10, 2015

Renewing your Malaysian passport

This has been overall a very interesting and challenging year for me. Late last year we welcomed a new addition to the family, an unexpected event I must say. Then about five months ago I decided to re-enter full time employment after about two years of part-time work, part time study, concentrating on completing my MBA while researching the private healthcare sector from a business perspective.

So yes, it has been eventful.

Earlier this year, the opportunity came to accompany my husband on an overseas trip to Phuket for a surgical conference. I believe it was regarding wound management, but I could be wrong. I consider myself an experienced parent travelling with baby, toddler and kids. So really, half of me didn't want to go, but another half of me gave in due to the fact that another such opportunity might not come so easily. We decided against bringing all four kids on the trip since it would be a handful for me, unless the maid came along, but then we did not have enough rooms for everyone. So it was me, hubby and baby.

And so we had to renew our passports and make a new one for baby.

I googled the options for places for passport renewal. There are several. We opted to try the one in Kelana Jaya, which can be accessed from Subang Airport highway (heading towards federal highway). From our direction though, it was just behind Paradigm Mall. The first time we went there, all ready with our documents, the system was down and we decided not to wait.

There is a ground floor parking area that is a reasonable walking distance. Despite coming early (I think 7am, it was a few months ago now), there was a long queue of about 50-80 people from the door. We came on a Friday, which was another mistake, the mid weekdays are less packed.

Because we had come beforehand, we already filled in the piece of paper which required a few details like name, address, IC no and signature. With this piece of paper filled, the person at the counter will inspect that with the old passport and then issue a queue number. I think the doors officially opened some half an hour or hour later. Even so it took a while for us to get our queue number. But it was a separate queue from the general crowd. The elderly, babies and other special groups get a sort of fast lane.

You only need to bring your passport, IC and in the baby's case, birth certificate. I cant remember if marriage certificate was required. But parents too must be present, obviously.

There are about ten counters. The queue number is for counter serahan, where you submit the old passport and other documents. Your picture will be taken at this counter. No need for photos taken outside like before. However, the results are, well, whatever. I did wear a dark coloured shawl over my scarf, which was a requirement. Getting baby's picture taken can be fun. One parent would hold the child facing the camera, the other parent should tap on the camera using keys or some other exciting (for the baby) object. The baby must have their eyes open and look at the camera. In general, most baby's had a few attempts before they got it right.

The next counter is the payment counter, it is RM200 for adults and RM100 for children. After you pay, you are given a receipt with a number. That is the queue number for passport collection which is counter 1-3 near the door. The number this time is not called using the electronic system, the officer will just shout it out hence it is best to sit near the door. For baby's, you can sort of jump the queue in that they will try and get your passport done faster. Most people have to wait minimum one hour but for baby it was only 30 minutes.

We waited about 1 hour for our number to be called for the counter serahan, and then went for breakfast at one of the nearby eateries. Nothing to shout about but glad there was food available. When we came back, we waited near the door where they call out names for the passport, and the officer saw the baby and asked for our receipt. Soon we were on our way home.

Overall, I found the system has been upgraded compared to the last time I renewed my passport. There are minimal forms to fill and not as many documents required. I know this because I kept some of the paperwork for my other kids passport application from a few years back. Having the picture taken at the counter also simplifies the paperwork, I believe.

About five years ago I was living in Kota Bharu and certainly renewing the passport there was a different experience in that there were not as many people. 

My sister who is working in Singapore got her passport renewed hassle free at the embassy. Hand it in one day and collect it the next day.

My suggestions to improve the service would be:
1) It was strange that they required baby to be present when the passport is collected. Aren't we already identified as the rightful carers when the documents were handed in. Perhaps this can change.
2) I wish there was an option like in Ireland, where almost the entire process is done by mail. Parents brings baby and birth certificate plus pictures to a police station or other recognised authorities for the baby's picture to be endorsed, then all the documents are sent via registered mail. In two weeks time, the passport arrives in the mail. Absolutely no queue at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment