Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Poh Yew Teoh and Creativity

Yesterday I had the privilege of meeting one of my many facebook friends Poh Yew Teoh at Amcorp Mall.

When she handed me her business card, I replied with the usual "I don't have one at the moment because I'm at career crossroads", then I... glanced at her very unusual business card and started to fiddle with it. Much to my surprise, it opened up like a flower and there were some pieces of paper inside which turned out to be some kind of puzzle. This came with no instruction from my friend at all. I guess her cards were designed in such a way that perhaps everyone would have done the same thing.

After she showed me the trick behind the puzzle I was so amazed I told her the absolute truth. This is THE BEST business card I have ever received my whole life, and trust me, I get a lot of cards. She even gave me one for two of my boys since my 10 year old once aspired to become a magician and absolutely loves tricks.

It turns out my friend was a maths teacher and very many years ago she thought at government schools and realised many of the weaknesses of our current education system. As any entrepreneur will tell you, a challenge or problem can actually be an opportunity if viewed the right way, and so what my friend teaches now is what is missing in mainstream education, the art of creativity, and she uses mathematics as the vehicle, her one true passion.

It was so exciting listening to how she left school in order to help school and how this one time maths teacher is now a successful global business woman.

We ended our brief meeting with a discussion of her books, how and why she self-published, the meaning of evergreen books and plenty of information and tips for a novice like me.

Truly I am blessed with amazing and talented friends who are all too generous with their experience and knowledge. I really look forward to attending her seminar with my kids and there is an upcoming event on the 19th November partially sponsored so it's a great deal. I think every parent should take the opportunity to learn from this gifted teacher. Maths is definitely magical!
See More
feeling blessed with Zaszima Abu-Samah and 15 others.

No comments:

Post a Comment